150g sundried tomatoes
30ml olive oil
basil, 1 bunch, rinsed and dried
arugula, 1 bunch, rinsed and dried
150g fresh tomatoes, washed
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
sugar to taste
balsamic vinegar (aceto balsamico)
600g eggplants, washed
oregano, ½ sprig, rinsed and dried
thyme, ½ sprig, rinsed and dried
75ml olive oil (1 – 2 extra tbsps. if required)
- Purée sundried tomatoes and olive oil using a blender.
- Chop basil.
- Cut tomatoes in small dice.
- Mix basil and tomatoes with puréed sundried tomatoes and season with salt, pepper and sugar.
- Cut eggplants lengthwise in 2mm thin slices.
- Line baking sheets lined with parchment paper and transfer eggplant slices.
- Remove oregano and thyme leaves from the stems.
- Purée herbs and olive oil using a blender; use more olive oil in case paste is too thick.
- Spread the herbs & olive oil-paste onto eggplant slices. Place under the preheated grill and grill briefly. If grilled too long, they become crunchy and won’t roll up well!
- Season eggplants with salt and pepper, roll them up and serve with tomato sauce. Garnish with arugula and balsamic vinegar.