It is plum season again!
The antique Romans already appreciated this fruit. Its many vitamins and minerals boosts your immune and nervous system. The skin is rich in valuable fiber which has a stimulating effect on the intestinal activity. There are many different recipes to enjoy plums or the smaller version called Damson plums. Here is my favorite recipe:
Ingredients for a large baking sheet (ca. 20 pieces):
1.5 to 2kg Plums or Damson plums
150g Low-fat quark (alternatively ricotta cheese)
6 Tbsps. milk
8 Tbsps. rapeseed oil
1 Pack vanilla sugar
1 Pinch salt
1 Pack of baking powder
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- Wash and drain plums. Cut lengthwise (not all the way through) and pit them.
- For the dough, mix quark, milk, 6 tbsps. of oil, salt, vanilla sugar and 75g of sugar in a bowl. Add flour and baking powder and work into a smooth dough.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin and transfer onto a greased baking sheet. Roll out to the size of the sheet.
- Place plums onto the dough so they slightly overlap like roof tiles. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 2 tbsps. of oil. Mix the remaining 25g of sugar with the cinnamon and sprinkle half of it over the cake.
- Bake in the center of a pre-heated 200°C oven for 35 – 40 minutes. Take out of the oven, let cool down for a few minutes and sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon & sugar on top. Cut into pieces and serve while still warm.