400g all-purpose flour
200g butter, cold
150g confectioner’s sugar
1 pk vanilla sugar
pinch of salt
4 egg yolks
8 egg yolks
1 vanilla bean
80g all-purpose flour, sifted
100g pine nuts
- Combine flour, salt and butter in a mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, vanilla sugar and egg yolks and work ingredients together.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
- Cut vanilla bean lengthwise and place in a saucepan together with the milk.
- Bring it to a quick boil and leave for about 10 minutes.
- To make the filling combine sugar and egg yolks in a mixing bowl and whisk until creamy. Whisk in 1/3 of the milk.
- Stir the flour into the mixture.
- Remove the vanilla bean from the milk and transfer the flour mixture into the milk.
- Boil for 3 minutes, while stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and pour into a form. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate until cool.
- Butter and flour a tart pan. Using about 2/3 of the dough, line pan with dough.
- Prick the dough with a fork several times to prevent bubbles from forming and pour the filling into the pastry lined pan.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cover the filling, pricking it several times.
- Brush with milk or egg yolk and sprinkle the pine nuts evenly on top.
Pre-heat the oven to a 180°C and bake for 45 – 50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Dust with confectioner’s sugar.